Saturday, March 16, 2013

DIY Framed Chalkboard

 My mom was running errands, and couldn't resist stopping by a thrift shop. She found a 42 inch x 30 inch framed art that was kind of ugly. If it hadn't been such a dark color, she wouldn't have thought to turn it into a chalkboard.



My aunt is in the process of building her house, so lately we have been on the look out for home decor. We thought this would be perfect for a large chalkboard in her kitchen.


My mom thought the piece of art had some potential, so she brought it home. The painting had a bumpy texture, so we sanded it down and made it smoother.

After that she painted it with black primer. We chose a black primer, so that when we distressed the frame ( which we painted white), the black would show through. When the frame was dry, we painted the center with chalkboard paint. 


Emily looked for chalkboard typography on Etsy to give the finished chalkboard a cafe look. She used chalk ink markers ( which you can find at Michael's) to write the words on. Chalk ink markers are more durable than chalk, but are still washable. If you don't want to use chalk, then you can just paint the words on with white acrylic paint.


This can be done on any framed art you have laying around. It is quick and super easy. You can have one of these chalkboards done as soon as the paint is done drying. Chalkboards are simple, but cute decor!
Pin It

17 comments:

  1. Talent + Great idea = a great backdrop for vignettes.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..this is beautiful. I love how you thought to prime it in black for distressing later! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I have yet to find a thrifted frame that I love enough to use on a project like this, but I still search for one whenever I get the chance.

    Thanks for sharing!

    I'm hosting a giveaway over at my blog. Feel free to check it out and enter. I'm giving away a few of my favorites that I use on a regular basis and love.

    Have a great week!

    http://cloverandmustard.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-few-of-my-favorites-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your welcome! Thanks for the invite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's such a great idea! Dana is blessed to have you looking for good finds :)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SUPER cute!!! I am in LOVE with chalkboard everything now...and yours is darling!

    A new follower,
    Julie
    http://www.thevintagebarnhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a great job with the lettering. Love it. ~di

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I wish I had that pretty of handwriting to design a chalkboard like that. Don't forget to link up to The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/search/label/The%20DIY%27ers

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your thrifty chalkboard. Please be sure to have my party name and a link back to my blog on your post...thanks:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks great! You did a fantastic job ;)
    Jamie ~ somuchbetterwithage.com
    PS: I'm having a giveaway on my blog right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job! I have just gotten into chalkboard art. Visit me sometime @ www.crosson5.blogspot.com Saw your post over @ Someday Crafts:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats, I love this project:)
    http://colorsofalllife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bought something like this. The "art" inside appears to be on masonite but almost a paper type finish. Would the paint stay on the paper? I haven't worked with chalkboard paint that much. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. After sanding mine a bit it felt like paper, I think it's a hard cardboard. I had no problem with the paint sticking. Definitely worth the try since I was not planning on keeping the art work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Emily is seriously talented! I have a few chalkboards around here that she can have a go at, if she wants!!!

    :)
    hugs x
    Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique



    http://www.crystelleboutique.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I appreciate your efforts and way of explaining things.You did a great job with the lettering

    waterproofing contractors in dubai

    ReplyDelete